School Uniform Policy
Aims of the Policy
It is our academy policy that all children wear school uniform when attending school, or when participating in a school-organised event outside normal school hours, unless otherwise notified.
Our policy on school uniform is based on the ideas that school uniform:
- promotes a sense of pride in the school;
- creates a sense of community and belonging towards the academy;
- is practical and smart;
- identifies the children with the academy;
- makes children feel equal to their peers in terms of appearance;
- is regarded as suitable wear for school and good value for money by most parents; and
- is designed with health and safety in mind.
Uniform consists of:
- Plain white polo shirt or white shirt/blouse (this does not need to have a logo)
- Purple, long sleeved sweatshirt/cardigan (available from Harrisons Schoolwear, although does not need to have a logo)
- Short or long tailored black or charcoal grey trousers for boys. Girls may wear trousers the same colour as boys as long as they are tailored and not tight. Black knee length skirt/pinafore/culottes may also be worn. Leggings are not to be worn.
- Black shoes with low, safe heels to be worn in school, not plimsolls or trainers.
- Black or white socks
- Black tights optional for girls in winter.
During the summer term the winter uniform is acceptable but children may wish to wear
- Short sleeved open necked white shirts with a collar
- Short tailored trousers for boys or girls (school colours only and no shorts)
- Skirt or dress in purple/white pattern, purple and white checked or striped.
- No makeup or nail varnish to be worn
- Hairstyles should be moderate and colours natural
- Hair accessories should be plain
- Long hair should be tied back under certain circumstances for safety reasons, for example when taking part in PE
- Our rules about jewellery are made on health and safety grounds.
- No jewellery is allowed to be worn in school, with the exception of plain studs in ears.
- Earrings cannot be worn for PE. They can only be taped in an emergency, for non-contact/impact sports such as athletics. Even then, we take no responsibility for any earring related injuries.
- A watch may be worn (at own risk) but if it becomes a distraction, staff may ask pupils to remove it.
Children have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of physical activities and are expected to dress appropriately as a matter of health and safety. PE kits should be worn to and from school on PE day. Please ensure that all PE clothing is clearly named and in a PE bag. Clothing is as follows:
- Black PE Shorts
- House colour short sleeved polo shirt for indoor/outdoor wear.
- Trainers are required for outdoor games (pupils do not need to have black plimsolls)
- No jewellery of any description is allowed during lessons.
- Children are encouraged to wear a plain jogging/track suit when the weather is cold.
Should a child wish to deviate from the uniform policy by wearing a faith item, an application to the academy’s Senior Leadership Team must be made.
Purchasing branded items
The only item of clothing that is required to be purchased from a set supplier is our school jumper/cardigan with the school logo. All other items of clothing can be purchased from any supplier, including second hand. At points through the year, we sell or give away second hand clothing – if this is something that you would like to discuss further, please contact the main office.
All logoed uniform is available from:
73 Southtown Road
Gorleston on Sea
Updated Sep 23